We are delighted to be partnering exclusively with this leading Australian resources company for the appointment of a new General Counsel as part of its Executive Leadership Team.
This General Counsel will be the sole legal counsel at this company, working directly with the Executive team and the Board of Directors and reporting to the CEO. This role would suit a Head of Legal or Deputy General Counsel wishing to move into a General Counsel role, as well as an experienced General Counsel who wishes to work as part of a flexible and agile team as sole legal counsel and play a crucial role in executing entrepreneurial and commercial projects (non law focused) as well as responsibility for running the legal function for the company.
This leading resources company is a highly regarded player within the resources sector, and is known for its commitment to responsible resource development and exceptional sustainable practices. It has significant experience in the development and operation of natural resources and is at the forefront of innovation in this sector. This company is at an exciting and pivotal phase of growth and development, with many new strategic projects and initiatives in the late planning phase and others being newly initiated.
This General Counsel position is a significant appointment for the company, acting as its sole legal counsel and working closely with the Board of Directors. The successful applicant will have strong commercial acumen and an entrepreneurial focus and wish to execute entrepreneurial projects for the company as well as lead the legal function for the company in a commercial and strategic manner, activating your skills within business as well as the law. This is a crucial role as part of the Executive team, with responsibility for leading and managing the legal function for the company, ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations while supporting the company’s continued growth, development and success.
The successful applicant will have a demonstrated passion for, and experience in, the natural resources sector. Responsibilities include:
- Legal Advisory: Sole legal advisor to the company, with the remit including corporate and commercial legal matters and advice, complex commercial contract negotiations including construction and energy agreements, and construction, energy, environment and planning, and employment legal matters and advice.
- Regulatory Compliance: Monitor and review changes in relevant law and regulations that may impact the company’s operations and implement compliance strategies accordingly.
- Environmental and Social Responsibility: Ensure compliance with environmental regulations and partner with the company’s ESG specialist to ensure compliance and best practice in sustainability and social responsibility.
- Risk Management: Identify legal risks and potential liabilities, develop and implement risk management strategies.
- Government Relations: Engage and negotiate with the Federal and State Government agencies and relevant regulation bodies to represent the company’s interests.
- Management of External Counsel: Managing external law firms within approved budget, including negotiating for favourable economic terms for the company.
- Litigation Management: manage and oversee litigation matters.
- Commercial Projects: Work on large existing and new commercial projects across the company and other new commercial projects across the business. These projects are commercial projects, and not legal projects, requiring strong entrepreneurialism, commerciality and initiative.
The required experience and expertise for this General Counsel role includes:
- A minimum of 10 years post-graduate experience in private practice or in-house, with at least 3 years’ experience in a senior leadership role within an in-house team or highly regarded law firm (Head of Legal, Deputy General Counsel, Special Counsel or a General Counsel interested in being a sole legal counsel).
- Significant experience (at least 3 years) specialising in energy & resources and/or construction.
- Extensive knowledge of construction, energy and commercial law, environmental & planning regulations and regulatory compliance related to the resources industry as well as a passion for the resources sector.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to work collaboratively and effectively with the Executive team and the Board of Directors.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, capable of communicating complex legal matters to non-legal stakeholders including the Board of Directors.
- Strong commercial and entrepreneurial abilities and an interest in running commercial projects and initiatives which are business projects (and not legal projects).
- Tertiary qualifications in law.
For further information, or to apply for the role, please add your details in the ‘Apply’ section below and we will be in touch.